For the purpose of studying in the UK, a vast number of applications are made under this category of the Home Office Points Based System for visas.

A student visa applicant must ensure they have 40 points which are made up of 10 points for funds, and 30 points for a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).


Under Student Tier 4 Visa category, students applying for their entry clearance or visa from the Home Office must show that they have a CAS from a licensed sponsor, but they must also meet a number of general requirements and restrictions such as:

  • Age
  • Security clearance
  • Maximum time limits for studying in the UK
  • Specific requirements for postgraduate doctors or dentists on a recognised Foundation program
  • For those individuals being sponsored by a Government or international Scholarship agency
  • Interview with Entry Clearance Officers

Therefore, if you are 16 years or older and intend on remaining in the UK for a duration longer than 6 months contact us for one of our specialist student Immigration lawyers to consider your case and advice you accordingly.


You will be able to bring your dependant to the UK if you are a student on a Tier 4 Visa, as long as you can show that you can support them financially without recourse to public funds.

Extensions If you have been granted Entry Clearance, leave to remain as a Tier 4 (General) Student; as a Tier 4 (Child) Student; as a Tier 1 (Post Study Work) Migrant you must apply in time for an extension of your visa if you intend on continuing your studies in the UK.

For detailed advice on your individual circumstances, please contact the Berkshire Law Chamber personal immigration department on 0208 577 7755 or contact us online here.